I have been hearing about weighted blankets for years and I finally decided to get one! If you’ve never heard of one, well…it’s exactly as it states: it’s a blanket that is heavy or weighted. They can weigh anywhere from 5 pounds to 30 pounds! It helps with anxiety and insomnia and helps you fall asleep faster.
Some of the benefits of weighted blankets are:
- Improves sleep quality. Personally, having a weighted blanket and blackout curtains have been a game changer for my sleep.
- Promotes happier mood. It helps you sleep and helps you relax. How can that not make you happy?
- Enhances calm. It really does puts you at ease and legit makes you feel like you’re getting a hug.
- Relieves travel anxiety.
- Enhances oxytocin (feeling of relaxing). If you’re more relaxed, you’re more likely to fall asleep.
- Releases dopamine and serotonin. Those are happy and feel good hormones!
- Reduces cortisol. It’s a stress hormone so a reduction of it at night will help you relax and cause your body to stress less.
- Boosts melatonin. Basically helps to put you to sleep!
- Puts imsomnia to rest. According to WebMd, Swedish researchers found that 31 men and women with moderate insomnia who used the blankets for 2 weeks reported a calmer night’s sleep with fewer movements. They believe the blankets helped them sleep more comfortably and securely, and they had higher-quality sleep.
- Reduces anxiety. A study has once shown that out of 32 participants, 33% of them saw a reduction in their anxiety.
- Helps students focus. They’re less likely to fall off task!
How much do they cost? Well thats the thing…they’re pretty pricey. I’ve seen some on Amazon or in the store at Target with a price tag of at least $50. I’m really short so I was able to find one for a child that cost me around $20 on Amazon.
Have you ever tried sleeping with a weighted blanket? Would you be interested in it?