I know that it is mental health month and I’m so ashamed to admit this but, my mental health has taken a hit. I find myself really depressed and feeling hopeless. I usually like to let it ride until the feelings subside but lately, I just cannot shake it anymore. It’s just a part of life and right now in my life, this is where I am mentally.
What are affirmations? Affirmations are positive statements that can help you to challenge and overcome self-sabotaging and negative thought. Will affirmations work when you’re depressed or feeling anxious? While it’s not a cure all, it is helpful. They help you to replace the negative feelings and thoughts with positive ones. It helps to break the narrative in your head that life sucks and everything is out of your control. Affirmations are just one of the things we can do to help us, along with therapy, lifestyle changes and/or medications.
- My sadness and depression do not define me.
- It’s in my head. It won’t last forever, and I will come out stronger.
- I am not perfect, and it is okay. I forgive myself and everyone for not being perfect. We are enough, and that is all that count.
- I am needed regardless of how worthless I feel.
- I listen with love to my body’s messages.
- I am in the process of positive change.
- I am safe.
- I know change is normal and so I embrace it.
- I am just as good as anyone else.
- I am bigger, brighter, and stronger than depression.
- I give myself permission to feel low. And I give myself permission to do what I need to do to survive.
- I place no demands or expectations on myself on hard days.
What are some affirmations mentioned above that you have found helpful? What other affirmations do you enjoy?
If you or someone you know have thoughts of suicide, please call 911, your loved ones, and/or call the suicide prevention helpline which is available 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255.
For additional mental health resources, please checkout NAMI’s BIPOC resources.