So many new things have happened lately which is why I didn’t have a post last week (forgive me). I basically have encountered change back to back and I won’t lie it was quite overwhelming. I don’t know if change is overwhelming for other people but for me? I hate it. Like I know things in life happen and there will be times when change is inevitable (check out my post here). Through it all, I relied on God. Below, I explain what new change has happened in my life but also I will leave tips for what to do when you find change being overwhelming.
First change that happened was moving. I moved and I’ll be where I am for a year. That’s how long my lease is and my landlord let me know from the jump that this was only for a year. I don’t mind it, it just means that I have to really be smart with my money this time around and really save my money so that I’m not in this predicament that I’m in now. I need my credit raised (which means its time to tackle my debt) and I need to put myself in a position to get an apartment. My rental history isn’t the best (it’s been much better since being in my career) so I understand the hesitation for people willing to rent to me. Not saying that I wasn’t stressed out about finding a place to live (I was) but I just needed something. So far, God has answered my prayer.
Another change that I had happen was that I changed schools! That’s right! I left my last school and while I’m thrilled to be out of that place, I’m also terrified. My new school is the polar opposite of my last school. First of all, it’s with the district so it’s not a charter school (thank goodness) so I’ll be getting paid more. It’s also an “A” school (technically it’s a “B” school but the school grade don’t count this past year). My new school is the schools thats a model for the other middle schools in the district. Plus it’s in an affluent community. How did I end up there? God! He had my back and knew that I wouldn’t grow at my last school (not including all the crap I went through. Check out my post about that one).
What will you do if you find yourself feeling super overwhelmed by what’s going on in your life? Well the very first thing that I’ll suggest is prayer. Honestly take it to Jehovah God. He will help you. Ask him to have what’s best for you. I remember praying for what I wanted to happen when it hit me that it’s not all about me. It’s about God and what he wants for my life. What if what I prayed for wasn’t good for me? I prayed and left it in his hands (while occasionally freaking out).
Besides prayer, what else can you do? According to an article on Harvard Business Review’s website, you should follow these tips:
- Find humor in the situation. Sometimes, you just have to laugh about the situation. It can help to lessen the stress and anxiety. Humor can help lift your mood and can help you find a new perspective on the situation.
- Don’t stress out about stressing out. Stress will kill you. I know it’s hard but try not to stress out too much. It’s not good for your mind nor body. Ask yourself what your stress is trying to help you accomplish (check out this post on letting go).
- Focus on your values rather than fear. Focusing on what we believe in can do wonders with how we deal with change, hence my go to God attitude about everything. Reflecting on our beliefs, achievements, loved ones, etc can help us stay level headed throughout life’s challenges.
- Accept the past, but fight for the future. This one is hard, even for me. I hate the fact that I can’t go back in time and fix things and I feel bad for how some things turned out. That is only hindering us, especially during our growth. I mean it’s nice to reflect on how far you’ve come. We need to accept that fact if whatever happens happen
- Don’t expect stability. Basically be flexible. Anything can happen so instead of thinking why is this happening to me think why is this happening for me? Go with the flow of things.
I’m excited and anxious to see what this year will bring me. What’s something that helps you with change?
p.s. starting mid September, you’ll see a new name. I’m leaving LolaDasher behind. Who knows maybe I’ll do a blog post on it but it’s time for a new name. I’ll be Nessa D!